One of the many new features within iOS 8 is the Health app. Health is an app that will connect with other fitness/diet apps on your iPhone and give you a nice home for all of your data to be stored and interpreted. So, what apps are good to use with the Health app? Here are a couple to get the ball rolling down the road of fitness.
My Fitness Pal (FREE) – click to download
This is the app I’ve used for almost a year, and has helped me lose a sizable amount of weight. My Fitness Pal is the best all around app for diet monitoring and calorie counting that I’ve seen. You can easily input your meals, snacks, workouts and more to help you keep track of where you are in your daily progress of calorie consumption and burning. It will also track your steps, if you have an iPhone 5s or iPhone 6, and calculate that into your daily progress. Here’s a bit about the app from the App Store:
WHY WE’RE BETTER THAN OTHER APPS
• Largest food database of any iPhone calorie counter – over 4,000,000 foods and growing daily
• Easiest and fastest food entry – remembers your favorites, add multiple foods at once, save and add entire meals, and more. THERE IS NO FASTER OR EASIER APP THAN MYFITNESSPAL.
• Fully syncs with the web, so you can log from your computer or your phone, whichever is more convenient. Plus your data is backed up online so you never lose it.
• Diet with your friends – add friends and easily track and support each other’s progress
• Comprehensive feature set – create your own custom foods and exercises, track all major nutrients, progress reports, customized goals based on your diet profile, and recipe calculator, with full support for metric and English units.
• IT WORKS – the success of our users shows that we can help you lose weight
WORKS WITH HEALTHKIT
• Add your meal summaries to HealthKit – You can now share meal data with HealthKit-connected apps every time you add food to your diary.
• Sync your weight with HealthKit – If you have an app that records your weight in HealthKit, we can automatically sync that with your MyFitnessPal account. Likewise, if you track your weight in MyFitnessPal we’ll keep your HealthKit data updated.
• Add exercises from other HealthKit apps to your diary – When you exercise with an app that saves workout data to HealthKit, we can adjust your daily calorie goal for you.
It’s a seriously great app, check it out, it’s free and easy to use.
Instant Heart Rate ($1.99) – click here to download
Want to monitor your heart rate throughout the day or after a workout? The app Instant Heart Rate is one you should check out. All you do is place your finger on the camera lens, and it will record your pulse. It will capture the data and create trends, plus you can even create notes and see your progress over time. This is a great complimentary app to something like My Fitness Pal to track your heart rate after something like a workout.
MotionX 24/7: Sleeptracker (99¢) – click here to download
The next step to monitor your health is to monitor your sleeping patterns, and MotionX 24/7 is an app that can do just that. In order to use this app, you’d really need to place it on your bed or in an armband while you slept, so it can track your movement to tell if you’re in a deep sleep or not. By tracking your sleep, it can help wake you up when you’re in a very light sleep, and you wake up more refreshed.
These three apps will store their data inside of the Health app. So once you open Health you can see the data from all three apps in one spot. The great thing about all these apps is the fact you don’t really have to buy anything else for the apps for function. There are other great apps out there that do similar things that require added accessories or wearables, but these will at least get you started down the right path.